Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The only thing I need to know about birth, I learned from Dwight Schrute.


At our class on Monday we were talking about Birth Plans. I never really thought about this too much before, but it makes a lot of sense. We didn't realize how many different options there are for giving birth. It's almost like Sonic's 168,000 drink combinations. I think the first thing I am going to put on my own personal Birth Plan is an idea I got from Dwight.
When the baby emerges, mark it secretly in a kind of a mark that only you could recognize and no baby snatcher could ever copy.

The other thing we discussed at class on Monday was packing the bag to go to the hospital. I am still relieved to know that once the water breaks its not a mad dash to get to the hospital before the baby falls out on her own. I think Hollywood puts unnecessary stress on expectant fathers. Every movie you see with a woman going into labor is preceded with someone having to drive down the highway at 120mph in order to get there in time. They should say that you are actually supposed to wait until you have been having contractions 5 minutes apart for an hour before you go to the hospital, and when you get there you will be do that for a while before the baby comes. I guess that wouldn't make a very exciting movie though.

2 comments:

Debby Mayne said...

LOL! Dwight probably knows as much about giving birth as any guy. My suggestion is just do what Alison tells you to do after she goes into labor.

Tina Bass said...

OMG. I now cannot get the image of Dwight "birthing" a watermelon baby.
hahahahahahaha.