Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Baby School... day 1


We had our first Birthing and Labor class at WakeMed Raleigh yesterday. It was pretty interesting and a little scary. It is much smaller than I was expecting. There are only 3 other couples in the class with us. We got to watch a video that wasn't too graphic (but I am sure we will get some non-PG ones in the upcoming classes). It was showing some women as they were going through their contractions etc. We learned all about what they were and what was going on etc. We had to bring 4 pillows to the first class. We didn't really use them, we only used 2. I think that they just wanted to make us look funny trying to carry 4 pillows (which is not easy). We did use the 2 pillows for a relaxation exercise that about put me to sleep. Well, I guess a pillow and a dark room would put me to sleep, but the exercise seemed to work pretty well.

In the 3rd week there will be a tour of the hospital. We will not be going to that part with our class since we will be giving birth at the WakeMed Cary hospital. We were unable to find a class open at WakeMed Cary, so we ended up going to the Raleigh one. We can sign up for the tour at our hospital which we will be doing in the near future. I am looking forward to seeing it. I hope the cafeteria is good :)

*** I put the picture up after searching for "uterus" on google images and having to close the window real fast and then search for "uterus cartoon" which came back with much better results. Some things can't be unseen. :( lol, jk.

1 comment:

Tina Bass said...

HAHAHAHHAHAHA. I cannot believe you searched for "uterus" and did not expect to find some horrifying pictures right away.

That is priceless.

I'm going to go do a search now too...

Oh, I'm glad the class went well! I hope you guys don't have to watch a more intense video. I did for a Child Psychology class in HS and it has scarred me for life. I don't think it will put Ali at ease.
But, if they show this one I saw in Women's health, it was gross but also sweet. Eh, it's going to be gross no matter what.