Thursday, August 7, 2008

Brother Cody, Sister Haley...


I had trouble sleeping last night, and I started thinking about our dog, Cody, will feel being a big brother when we have our baby. I know he will not receive the same amount of attention he does now, but Alison and I are both going to try to keep giving him as much attention as we can afford. Cody is a real gentle giant, he is a little over 90 lbs., and I have a feeling he will fall in love with our baby. I can easily picture him sleeping by the crib or sleeping by the baby's door. I think our cat, Haley, will be good around the baby, and if not, that is another story. However, I don't picture her spending too much time near the baby. I see her as the hiding under the bed until the little human leaves type of animal. She will probably not be as accepting of the new addition to our family as Cody will be, but you never know; only time will tell.

One thing we will teach Cody is that just because something is brightly colored and on the floor, doesn't necessarily mean that its a toy for him to destroy. He is very good about only chewing only on his own toys now. However, I'm not sure how we can get him to understand that not all toys are his anymore. He will probably be able to distinguish the smell of baby drool versus his own. I guess a trip to the store to pick up a few inexpensive baby toys wouldn't hurt to see if he can resist the temptation of a shiny new toy. I feel bad for those toys; they don't know what's coming.

1 comment:

Debby Mayne said...

Cody's smart. He'll figure it out.

Hopefully, Haley will love her new baby. Ya never know.