Thursday, July 17, 2008

And on that farm he had a... umm cucumber?


A while ago, Alison and I had made a trip to the local Farmer’s Market and we picked up a bunch of young vegetable plants. We got tomatoes, green peppers (Alison’s favorite) and cucumbers. Other than a few cherry tomatoes, we haven’t gotten all that much from it. I went out today to water our little garden and I went over by the cucumbers and saw that there were about six really good size cucumbers, so I was pretty excited about that.

Over the past few years we have been trying to eat healthier foods, buying some things organic and when possible buying local fruits and vegetables. We were considering joining a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program this year, but I think we will for sure next year. It is a pretty cool idea and it is good for a few different reasons. You basically buy “shares” in the farm and you get a portion of the crop every week. It ends up being a box of fruit and veggies that you would go and pick up all season long. It would be nice to get a locally grown product as well as get something that doesn’t have to be processed and shipped half way across the country before it gets to the store.

When we have our baby, I think we are going to attempt to make at least some of our own baby food. I say attempt because I have no idea how tired and exhausted we will be, but it’s a nice thought. I feel that using locally grown produce will be a nice alternative to getting processed jars of food; it will also reduce the amount of waste and garbage etc. Now that I have a baby on the way, I want to try to do my part so that the world he/she inherits is a healthy place for their family. I am not going to stop driving and only eat what I grow, but a few little things here and there can go a long way.

1 comment:

Debby Mayne said...

I always enjoyed growing vegetables when I had the space to do it! I'm proud of both of you!

It's really not hard to make your own baby food if you have a food processor. I think you'll both be wonderful, loving, nurturing parents!

Take care of my little grandbaby!